WHAT WE DO AND WHY?
Service for Philanthropic Individuals, Families and Organizations:
Sowers Exchange works to fullfill its Mission through three major services:
Philanthropic Consulting for Individuals, Families, including Family Offices, Family Companies and Trusts.
Services for Social Purpose Organisations (SPOs) including Non-government Organisations (NGOs), Social Enterprises, Non-profit organisations and Charities.
Experiential Service Learning Programs.
Before describing more detail about these focus areas, the Vision & Mission that drives our existence is based on the voluntary sharing of blessings with our neighbours who are less fortunate is an imperative of God.
VISION: Sowers Exchange works hard to connect head knowledge with heart knowledge through our various programs with stakeholders ranging from top schools, to grassroots non-profit organisations, to individuals, families and leading multinational corporations. We believe everyone has their part to play in making the world a better place.
MISSION: We help our clients achieve their their targets by bridging the gap between our small to medium sized grassroots level social purpose organisation (SPO) partners in 13 countries across the APAC region.
Through our work, we aim to achieve two objectives:
1) Harness the financial resources and human capital available in Hong Kong to address pressing social issues in the Asia-Pacific region, and
2) Develop an active philanthropic culture in Hong Kong, which focuses on proactive hands-on involvement rather than passive financial contributions.
Families including Family Offices, Foundations and Trusts
Our clients express the desire fulfil their vision and values by contributing resources including money, time and other resources to improve and make a difference in their local and worldwide communities.
Sowers Exchange provides a number of services to these clients to achieve their philanthropic goals. These services are available whether the client is a individual, family or company. These services can cover those who are exploring this area for the first time or those who want to evaluate their direction for renewal, refinement or change.
For individuals and families, the services could include:
- Facilitating the determination or refinement of their charitable orientation and donative intent, determining their level of participation with the charity and managing family legacy meetings.
- Establishing relevant social sectors, geographic and other selection criteria.
- Development of a philanthropic plan.
- Performing “due diligence” investigations on Social Purpose Organisations (SPOs).
- Evaluating the congruence of current giving with their philanthropic goals.
- Designing and implementing impact measurement systems including Social Return on Investment (SROI)
- Presenting, Monitoring and Reporting on SPO projects that meet the established philanthropic plan.
For Companies, the services would include:
- Developing a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Plan
- Offering Employee Engagement Activities with selected SPOs,
- Performing “due diligence” investigations on Social Purpose Organisation(SPOs).
- Presenting, Monitoring and Reporting on SPO projects.
- Design custom made programs that make measurable positive outcomes on the community and provide engagement for their staff.
Social Purpose Organizations (SPOs) who collaborate with us seek resources to complete community service or capacity building projects. Key advantages of using Sowers Exchange as an intermediary is that we will liaise directly with the client, secure funding, complete outcomes reporting requirements and organize any employee engagement events to encourage more people to engage further with the SPO. This leaves community organisations with more time to focus on what they do best: making a positive difference to the community.
Our corporate clients are looking for custom made Corporate Community Investment (CCI) programs that support their business, meet identified community needs and make a measurable positive outcome on the community. We are able to design initiatives that will engage their staff and provide a solid story of community engagement for reporting.
As part of the CCI process, we help our clients to:
- Craft or refine their CSR strategy,
- Identify projects and partners that support that strategy,
- Monitor the project’s progress,
- Seed project monies when pre-agreed milestones are met,
- Facilitate personal experiences of the project and
- Report on outcomes, impact and calculate the Social Return on Investment.
If requested, we are also happy to explore how we can create additional employee engagement strategies to assist our clients to get their people involved in CCI initiatives.
Environment, Sustainability and Governance
Sowers Exchange’s own 3-stage due diligence process ensures that we identify reputable changemakers who are effectively achieving their stated community goals.
Our due diligence process helps clients to narrow down options for partnering with reputable, reliable and effective partners from the many NGOs operating in the Asia Pacific region.
We conduct desktop due diligence, onsite due diligence and peer review to assess SPOs’:
- Public Benefit Goals
- Experience and Capabilities
- Governance and Accountability
- Financial Reporting and Responsibility
- Strategy and Future Plans, and most importantly,
- Measure of Effectiveness in reaching their community goals.
- Measurement & Reporting
Social Return on Investment
For our corporate clients, we also monitor the effects of our programs on participants through pre and post program surveys, so you can be sure that our programs have created the intended results.
If you would like to learn more about how we measure, please contact us.
School/ University Students
Individuals and Families
For periods, of 5 to 10 days, we organize learning adventures where participants have the chance to discover Asia’s social challenges for themselves and gain first hand experience of meaningful service work that meets an identified community need.
Depending on the individual’s, family’s, school ‘s or company’s goals or objectives, our service work might include building and construction activities, caring for animals, engaging in conservation, teaching or supporting social enterprises. We are careful to ensure that each of our programs is sensitive to the effects that volunteer service work has on communities. We plan our trips so that they result in positive social outcomes. Participants have the opportunity to remain connected to the visited community and the issue when they return home from their trips.
Our destinations cover locations throughout the Asia pacific region (for further information, please see services for schools). All SPO service providers are thoroughly vetted and Sowers Exchange provides high-energy professional facilitation, risk assessment, clean accommodation, good quality food and safe work environments.
Everyone learns in different ways, so every trip includes elements of outdoor physical challenge and cultural activities, so particpants can gain a deeper understanding of the local environment, culture and themselves.
At the end of our trips, we hope that participants are exhausted, happy and inspired to make further contributions to the community.